Understand the law, learn how to make calculations and gain practical skills and insight into the key aspects of laytime and demurrage.
Laytime and demurrage: the most disputed and litigious aspects of international shipping?
A comprehensive background knowledge of the legal and practical elements of these complex issues could mean the difference between profit or loss; conciliation or litigation; success or failure in trade deals and chartering enterprises.
This distance learning programme;
>Provides a thorough overview of the fundamental concepts and practices of laytime and demurrage in the context of both wet and dry cargoes.
>Shows how to define and calculate laytime and demurrage
>Blends legal and technical knowledge with current case studies to show practical application of the theory
Further to this, students will gain invaluable knowledge and skills in the areas of contract negotiations, documentation and dispute resolution which will help improve their performance and prospects in the shipping industry.
The Certificate in Laytime and Demurrage course brochure can be downloaded here.
The learning experience is accessible 100% online and combines PDF modules, e-assessments, dedicated tutorial support and peer networking using our web-based forum.
The modules are designed to provide a complete and coherent guide through the complexities of laytime and demurrage:
1. Introduction and Context
- Key terms, legal framework, principal clauses, laytime and freight rate
2. Defining Laytime
- Types and commencement of laytime, interruptions and exceptions, completion, averaging and reversing laytime
3. Calculating Laytime
- Tankers, dry cargo, step-by-step guides, multiple charters, practical examples
4. Demurrage, Detention and Despatch
- Contract law, damages for detention, stoppage and termination of demurrage, deadfreight, liability
5. Calculating Demurrage
- Basic calculations, time bar clauses, termination, practical examples, insurance
6. Laytime and Demurrage in Practice
- Case studies – wet and dry cargoes, contract negotiations, documentation, collecting demurrage and despatch, resolving disputes, litigation, drafting and amending clauses, legal differences worldwide